If you find yourself resisting “being strategic,” because it sounds like a fast track to irrelevance, or vaguely like an excuse to slack off, you’re not alone. Every leader’s temptation is to deal with what’s directly in front, because it always seems more urgent and concrete. Unfortunately, if you do that, you put your company at risk. While you concentrate on steering around potholes, you’ll miss windfall opportunities, not to mention any signals that the road you’re on is leading off a cliff.
This is a tough job, make no mistake. “We need strategic leaders!” is a pretty constant refrain at every company, large and small. One reason the job is so tough: no one really understands what it entails.
It’s hard to be a strategic leader if you don’t know what strategic leaders are supposed to do.
Adaptive strategic leaders — the kind who thrive in today’s uncertain environment – do six things well:
Most of the focus at most companies is on what’s directly ahead. The leaders lack “peripheral vision.” This can leave your company vulnerable to rivals who detect and act on ambiguous signals. To anticipate well, you must:
- Look for game-changing information at the periphery of your industry
- Search beyond the current boundaries of your business
- Build wide external networks to help you scan the horizon better
“Conventional wisdom” opens you to fewer raised eyebrows and second guessing. But if you swallow every management fad, herdlike belief, and safe opinion at face value, your company loses all competitive advantage. Critical thinkers question everything. To master this skill you must force yourself to:
- Reframe problems to get to the bottom of things, in terms of root causes
- Challenge current beliefs and mindsets, including your own
- Uncover hypocrisy, manipulation, and bias in organizational decisions
Ambiguity is unsettling. Faced with it, the temptation is to reach for a fast (and potentially wrongheaded) solution. A good strategic leader holds steady, synthesizing information from many sources before developing a viewpoint. To get good at this, you have to:
- Seek patterns in multiple sources of data
- Encourage others to do the same
- Question prevailing assumptions and test multiple hypotheses simultaneously
Many leaders fall prey to “analysis paralysis.” You have to develop processes and enforce them, so that you arrive at a “good enough” position. To do that well, you have to:
- Carefully frame the decision to get to the crux of the matter
- Balance speed, rigor, quality and agility. Leave perfection to higher powers
- Take a stand even with incomplete information and amid diverse views
Total consensus is rare. A strategic leader must foster open dialogue, build trust and engage key stakeholders, especially when views diverge. To pull that off, you need to:
- Understand what drives other people’s agendas, including what remains hidden
- Bring tough issues to the surface, even when it’s uncomfortable
- Assess risk tolerance and follow through to build the necessary support
As your company grows, honest feedback is harder and harder to come by. You have to do what you can to keep it coming. This is crucial because success and failure–especially failure–are valuable sources of organizational learning. Here’s what you need to do:
- Encourage and exemplify honest, rigorous debriefs to extract lessons
- Shift course quickly if you realize you’re off track
- Celebrate both success and (well-intentioned) failures that provide insight
Do you have what it takes?
Obviously, this is a daunting list of tasks, and frankly, no one is born a black belt in all these different skills. But they can be taught and whatever gaps exist in your skill set can be filled in.
Who knew ten years ago that you would need to remember so many passwords? A PIN for your bank account, personal email password, work computer log in: the list goes on & on. These suggestions will help to keep your online accounts as safe as possible.
1. Do not share your passwords
This is a common sense rule that is broken all the time. Please do not share your passwords with friends or family.
2. Don’t use simple words or phrases
Hackers have software that can generate common words even if you spell them backwards and add a number. Some of the most common passwords according to PC Magazine: password, 123456, qwerty, abc123, letmein, monkey, myspace1, password1, link182, (yourname). I hope your password isn’t in this list.
3. Don’t email your passwords to yourself or others
If hackers get your email, they will have access to all your accounts.
4. Use multiple passwords
Do not use the same password for all your accounts; again common sense. However, it is a common mistake.
5. Don’t log on to sensitive accounts on public WiFi
6. Don’t use personal details in your passwords
Names, birthdays, parts of addresses or pets names can all be easily guessed by someone who knows you.
7. Write your passwords down
But please keep them in a secure place!
8. Change your passwords every 3 months
9. An ideal password should be 14 characters long
To create a strong password, you can also use a random password generator such as PC Tools free Secure Password Generator.
10. Don’t use passwords that are easy to spot while you are typing them
11. Use capital letters, numbers and special characters in your password
12. How safe is your favorite password?
Check the strength of your password on this Microsoft page.
Do you have additional ideas for keeping your accounts safe? Please share!
Deepavali or Diwali, popularly known as the “festival of lights,” is a festival celebrated between mid-October and mid-November for different reasons. For Hindus, Diwali is one of the most important festivals of the year and is celebrated in families by performing traditional activities together in their homes. However, in recent times it is an occasion that is celebrated by Indians of all religions living in India and abroad. The day also has significance for other religions in India.
Foe more info on Deepavali -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
1. Everything in your house is yours.
2. You don’t have to hide gifts, receipts, and other purchase records in ridiculous places.
3. If you buy something “yummy”, you don’t have to buy twice as much.
4. The only person you have to dress up for is your Neighbor .
5. Your late nights are all yours.
6. Less stuff to move when you do move
7. One bedroom apartments feel more spacious with only one person
8. You never have to ask for permission to orgasm.
9. Only the doctor can tell you what to eat
10. You decide what to do and when
11. Valentines day costs less
12. No anniversaries to remember
13. No extra birthdays to remember
14. No extra family to shop for during the holidays
15. No irritating in-laws to deal with
16. You can walk around naked whenever you want.
17. Only your sense of decency has any say about where you leave your dirty clothes.
18. You don’t have to share
19. You don’t have to change your life because someone else has jealousy issues.
21. Getting that out-of-state job doesn’t hinge on what someone else wants or thinks.
22. The only people complaining about music volume are the neighbors.
23. You can fall asleep anywhere without getting any guff for it in the morning.
24. You don’t have to use the “headache” excuse anymore.
25. You don’t have to worry as much about the “wattt, ur pregnant” factor.
26. The only person who goes through your stuff is you.
27. The only person who sees your inbox is you.
28. More time to spend with friends.
29. You don’t have to live with someone who can’t stand your parents.
30. If you want to go for pizza at 3am, no one stops you or asks you why.
31. You can date more freely.
32. The cute secretary is fair game.
33. The whole wedding mess? Yeah, none of that to deal with.
35. You always get to watch what you want.
36. You always get to read what you want.
37. You decide when to crawl into bed.
38. You can throw yourself into bed and snore without dire consequences.
39. No one else’s annoying (or disgusting) habits to deal with at home.
40. The only fetishes you have to deal with are your own.
41. You can talk to yourself without people saying “what?” or worrying about your sanity.
42. There are religious benefits, if you’re into that kind of thing.
43. Single people can still adopt, if you’re into that kind of thing.
44. The only annoying friends you have to deal with are your own.
46. There’s only one way to do things- your way.
47. You are the master of the thermostat.
48. The only messes you have to clean up are your own.
49. The only disasters you have to fix are your own.
50. If an argument starts, you can walk away… forever.
51. You don’t have to make excuses for yourself.
52. The whole “old maid” thing is so last century.
53. Dinner can be as simple as a frozen burrito.
54. When you eat, you buy and cook for one.
55. No one else is going to eat your leftovers.
56. No one else is going to raid your stash of sweets (you don’t even have to hide it!)
57. You don’t have to share your bed with anyone.
58. You can even eat in bed if you want to.
59. You can decorate the entire house according to your taste.
60. The only person spending your money is you.
61. Three words: Marriage Tax Penalty.
62. The only debts you have to pay off are your own.
63. Kids with single parents can get more financial aid.
64. Bickering couples are at best a relieving reminder and at worst hilarious.
65. Less pressure about body weight.
66. Married people are fatter on average anyway.
68. It’s easier to focus on your career and your dreams.
69. You’re the only person who gets to decide if you “need to make more money.”
70. The only mood swings you have to deal with are your own.
71. There are a lot of lonely and violently psychopathic people out there.
72. You don’t have to change your religious beliefs one bit.
73. There are 6.5 Billion other fish in the sea. That’s 6,500 x 1 million. Yeah.
74. Porn is cheaper, easier, and comes in more varieties.
75. The toilet seat only moves when you move it.
76. Cohabitation is legal, fun, and less of a hassle than marriage.
77. You don’t have to deal with someone else’s kids all the time.
78. Divorce is pricey.
79. You don’t have to deal with “compliment fishing.”
80. Fewer minutes spent with a phone attached to your ear.
81. No endless nagging.
82. You never have to answer the phone “right now!”
83. You can drink what you want, where you want, and as much as you want.
84. No doubts or worries about someone sleeping around.
85. Things stay where you put them.
86. You can meditate and have your quiet time when you need it.
87. The only thing whining about not being fed is your cat.
88. You can take out the trash when you feel like it.
89. You can shower or bathe when you want, as often as you want, for as long as you want.
90. You can even leave the door open when you shower.
91. The longer you wait, the better you know yourself, instead of someone else.
92. Children learn how to treat themselves by watching how you treat yourself.
93. A bad relationship is like a lingering knife wound- it continues to ruin your whole day.
94. You can be as eccentric as you want.
95. Your car can be as dirty or unusual or artistic as you want.
96. You decide how long it takes to get ready.
97. Say goodbye to heartache, dumping, and being dumped.
98. You get your weekends for you and your projects.
99. You can be the wild friend with all the really juicy stories.
100. You can still get laid. Maybe even more often. Certainly with more variety.
101. Being single and staying single isn’t selfish. It should be seen as putting your happiness first (Where it should be.)
Let’s take a look at how the technical specs of the iPhone 4S stack up next to those of our favorite new Android smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S II
|iPhone 4S|| Galaxy S II
|Price (with contract)||$199 to $399||$199.99|
|OS||iOS 5||Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) w/ TouchWhiz 4.0|
|Processor||Apple A5 (dual-core)||Samsung Exynos (dual-core)|
|Display||3.5-inch 960×640 IPS||4.3-inch 800×480 SAMOLED+|
|Dimensions||115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 (mm)||129 x 66 x 8.9 (mm)|
|Cellular||CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A/GSM/HSPA||GSM/HSPA+|
|Max. speed||14.4Mbps down/5.8Mbps up||21.1Mbps down|
|Wi-Fi||802.11 b/g/n (single-band)||802.11 b/g/n (dual-band)|
|Rear camera||8-megapixel AF w/ LED flash||8-megapixel AF w/ LED flash|
| Video capabilities
||1080p at 30fps||1080p at 30fps|
|Mini SD||No||Yes (expands storage up to 48GB)|
|Max. battery life||8 hrs talk/6 hrs browsing 3G/10 hrs video/40 hrs music||8 hrs talk|
|Construction||Glass w/ aluminum band||Plastic|
New Delhi: Millions of mobile subscribers across the country are likely to get relief from pesky commercial calls and messages with the regulations preventing such communications coming into effect Tuesday( i.e 27th Sept 2011)
To avail the service, the customers will have to get themselves registered with the National Customer Preference Registry, earlier known as “National Do Not Call Registry”. The regulations include fines ranging from Rs.25,000 to Rs.250,000 for the defaulting companies.
According to reports, while the number of pesky calls has come down lately, the messages still remained a menace. On an average, as many as 47,454 complaints per month are being registered in this regard.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal will Tuesday announce the implementation of the regulations — The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulation — thus laying down strict penalties for violators.
Although over 130 million mobile subscribers had registered with the National Do Not Call registry till Aug 25, consumers are still pestered with unwanted commercial calls and messages.
The telecom watchdog had announced a set of new measures last year to curb such unsolicited commercial communications which were to be implemented from Jan 1, but it kept repeatedly postponing the implementation sate.
The department of telecom (DoT) has provided ’140′ number series to be allocated to telemarketers for a fixed line network. Access providers have to make relevant provisions in their network before allocation of resources to telemarketers using ’140′ numbering series from fixed line network.
Unlike the previous regulation that asked customers to register their numbers in “Do Not Call” list, the new regulations allows customers to choose from different categories like “Fully blocked” or “Partially blocked”.
TRAI has disconnected over 72,000 telephone connections of registered telemarketers and over 118,000 of unregistered telemarketing companies for breaching guidelines related to commercial calls and messages up to May 2011.
Some Laws Einstein missed out !!!
LAW OF QUEUE:
If you change queues, the one you have left will start to move faster than the one you are in now.
LAW OF TELEPHONE:
When you dial a wrong number, you never get an engaged one.
LAW OF MECHANICAL REPAIR:
After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch.
LAW OF THE WORKSHOP :
Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.
LAW OF THE ALIBI:
If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire, the next morning you will have a flat tire.
When the body is immersed in water, the telephone rings.
LAW OF ENCOUNTERS:
The probability of meeting someone you know increases when you are with someone you don’t want to be seen with.
LAW OF THE RESULT:
When you try to prove to someone that a machine won’t work, it will!
LAW OF BIOMECHANICS:
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.
LAW OF COFFEE:
As soon as you sit down for a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
Rahul Gandhi WHO ?????
A daring letter by an IIT’an to Rahul Gandhi. Plz read and SHARE .
Read and SHARE .(HOPE EVERY ONE KNOW THIS ..)
A REPLY LETTER WRITTEN BY:NITIN GUPTA (RIVALDO)B. Tech, IIT Bombay
ON Rahul Gandhi: “I feel ashamed to call myself an INDIAN after seeing
what has happened here in UP”.
YOU REALLY WANT TO FEEL ASHAMED???????
But don’t be disappointed, I would give you ample reasons to feel
ashamed… You really want to feel Ashamed..?
* First Ask Pranav Mukherjee, Why isn’t he giving the details of
the account holders in the Swiss Banks.
* Ask your Mother, Who is impeding the Investigation against
* Ask her, Who got 60% Kickbacks in the 2G Scam ?
* Kalamadi is accused of a Few hundred Crores, Who Pocketed the
Rest in the Common Wealth Games?
* Ask Praful Patel what he did to the Indian Airlines? Why did
Air India let go of the Profitable Routes ?
* Why should the Tax Payer pay for the Air India losses, when
you intend to eventually DIVEST IT ANYWAY!!!
* Also, You People can’t run an Airline Properly. How can we
expect you to run the Nation?
* Ask Manmohan Singh. Why/What kept him quiet for so long?
* Are Kalmadi and A Raja are Scapegoats to save Big Names like
Harshad Mehta was in the 1992 Stock Market Scandal ?
* Who let the BHOPAL GAS TRAGEDY Accused go Scot Free? (20,000
People died in that Tragedy)
* Who ordered the State Sponsored Massacre of SIKHS in 84?
* Please read more about, How Indira Gandhi pushed the Nation
Under Emergency in 76-77, after the HC declared her election to Lok
* WHY ONLY HIGHLIGHT THIS ARREST?
Dear Rahul, to refresh your memory, you were arrested/detained by the
FBI the BOSTON Airport in September 2001.
You were carrying with you $ 1,60,000 in Cash. You couldn’t explain why
you were carrying so much Cash.
(Incidentally He was with his Columbian girlfriend Veronique Cartelli,
ALLEGEDLY, the Daughter of Drug Mafia. 9 HOURS he was kept at the
Airport. Later then freed on the intervention of the then Prime Minister
Mr. Vajpayee.. FBI filed an equivalent of an FIR in US and released him.
When FBI was asked to divulge the information, by Right/Freedom to
Information Activists about the reasons Rahul was arrested …
FBI asked for a NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE from Rahul Gandhi.
So Subramaniyam Swami wrote a Letter to Rahul Gandhi, ” If you have
NOTHING to HIDE, Give us the Permission”
HE NEVER REPLIED!)
Why did that arrest not make Headlines Rahul? You could have gone to the
Media and told, “I am ashamed to call myself an INDIAN?”.
Or is it that, you only do like to highlight Symbolic Arrests (like in
UP) and not Actual Arrests (In BOSTON)
Kindly Clarify…..In any case, you want to feel ashamed, Read Along…
YOUR MOTHER’S SO CALLED SACRIFICE OF GIVING UP PRIME MINISTERSHIP in
According to a Provision in the Citizenship Act, A Foreign National who
becomes a Citizen of India, is bounded by the same restrictions,
which an Indian would face, If he/she were to become a Citizen of Italy.
(Condition based on principle of reciprocity)
Now Since you can’t become a PM in Italy, Unless you are born there.
Likewise an Italian Citizen can’t become Indian PM,
unless He/She is not born here!
Dr. SUBRAMANIYAM SWAMI (The Man who Exposed the 2G Scam) sent a letter
to the PRESIDENT OF INDIA bringing the same to his Notice.
PRESIDENT OF INDIA sent a letter to Sonia Gandhi to this effect, 3:30
PM, May 17th, 2004.
Swearing Ceremony was scheduled for 5 PM the same Day. Manmohan Singh
was brought in the Picture at the last moment to Save Face!!
Rest of the SACRIFICE DRAMA which she choreographed was an EYE WASH!!!
In fact Sonia Gandhi had sent, 340 letters, each signed by different MP
to the PRESIDENT KALAM, supporting her candidacy for PM.
One of those letters read, “I Sonia Gandhi, elected Member from Rai
Bareli, hereby propose Sonia Gandhi as Prime Minister.”
So SHE was Pretty INTERESTED! Until She came to know the Facts! She
didn’t make any Sacrifice, It so happens that SONIA GANDHI
couldn’t have become the PM of INDIA that time.
You could be Ashamed about that Dear Rahul!! One Credential Sonia G had,
Even that was a HOAX!
THINK ABOUT YOURSELF.
You go to Harvard on Donation Quota. ( Hindujas Gave HARVARD 11 million
dollars the same year, when Rajiv Gandhi was in Power)
Then you are expelled in 3 Months/ You Dropped out in 3 Months….
(Sadly Manmohan Singh wasn’t the Dean of Harvard that time, else
you might have had a chance… Too Bad, there is only one Manmohan
Then Why did you go about lying about being Masters in Economics from
Harvard .. before finally taking it off your Resume upon questioning
by Dr. SUBRAMANIYAM SWAMI (The Gentlemen who exposed the 2G Scam)
At St. Stephens.. You Fail the Hindi Exam. Hindi Exam!!!
And you are representing the Biggest Hindi Speaking State of the
SONIA GANDHI’s EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
Sonia G gave a sworn affidavit as a Candidate that She Studied English
at University of Cambridge
According to Cambridge University, there is no such Student EVER! Upon
a Case by Dr. Subramaniyam Swami filed against her, She subsequently
Dropped the CAMBRIDGE CREDENTIAL from her Affidavit.
Sonia Gandhi didn’t even pass High School. She is just 5th class Pass!
In this sense, She shares a common Educational Background with her 2G
In Crime, Karunanidhi.
You Fake your Educational Degree, Your Mother Fakes her Educational
Degree. And then you go out saying, ” We want Educated Youth into
WHY LIE ABOUT EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIALS?
Not that Education is a Prerequisite for being a great Leader, but then
you shouldn’t have lied about your qualifications!
You could feel a little ashamed about Lying about your Educational
Qualifications. You had your reasons I know, Because in India, WE
But who cares about Education, When you are a Youth Icon!!
You traveled in the Local Train for the first time at the Age of 38.
You went to some Villages as a part of Election Campaign. And You won a
Youth Icon!! … That’s why You are my Youth Icon.
For 25 Million People travel by Train Every day. You are the First
Person to win a Youth Icon for boarding a Train.
Thousands of Postmen go to remotest of Villages. None of them have yet
gotten a Youth Icon. You were neither YOUNG Nor ICONIC!
Still You became a Youth Icon beating Iconic and Younger Contenders like
Shakespeare said, What’s in a Name?
Little did he knew, It’s all in the Name, Especially the Surname!
Speaking of Surname, Sir DO YOU REALLY RESPECT GANDHI, OR IS IT JUST TO
CASH IN ON THE GOODWILL OF MAHATMA?
Because the Name on your Passport is RAUL VINCI. Not RAHUL GANDHI..
May be if you wrote your Surname as Gandhi, you would have experienced,
what Gandhi feels like, LITERALLY ( Pun Intended)
You People don’t seem to use Gandhi much, except when you are fighting
Elections. ( There it makes complete sense).
Imagine fighting elections by the Name Raul Vinci…
You use the name GANDHI at will and then say, ” Mujhe yeh YUVRAJ shabd
Insulting lagta hai! Kyonki aaj Hindustan mein Democracy hai, aur is
ka koi matlab nahin hai! YUVRAJ, Itna hi Insulting lagta hai, to lad lo
RAUL VINCI ke Naam se!!! Jin Kisano ke saath photo khinchate ho woh bhi
isliye entertain karte hain ki GANDHI ho.. RAUL VINCI bol ke Jao… Ghar
mein nahin ghusaenge!!!
You could feel ashamed for your Double Standards.
YOUTH INTO POLITICS.
Now You want Youth to Join Politics.
I say First you Join Politics. Because you haven’t Joined Politics. You
have Joined a Family Business.
First you Join Politics. Win an Election fighting as RAUL VINCI and Not
Rahul Gandhi, then come and ask the youth and the Educated Brass for
involvement in Politics.
Also till then, Please don’t give me examples of Sachin Pilot and Milind
Deora and Naveen Jindal as youth who have joined Politics. They are not
Politicians. They Just happen to be Politicians.
Much Like Abhishek Bachchan and other Star Sons are not Actors. They
just happen to be Actors (For Obvious Reasons)
So, We would appreciate if you stop requesting the Youth to Join
Politics till you establish your credentials…
WHY WE CAN’T JOIN POLITICS!
Rahul Baba, Please understand, Your Father had a lot of money in your
Family account ( in Swiss Bank) when he died.
Ordinary Youth has to WORK FOR A LIVING. YOUR FAMILY just needs to
NETWORK FOR A LIVING
If our Father had left thousands of Crores with us, We might consider
doing the same. But we have to Work. Not just for ourselves.
But also for you. So that we can pay 30% of our Income to the Govt.
which can then be channelized to the Swiss Banks and your Personal
some Pseudo Names.
So Rahul, Please don’t mind If the Youth doesn’t Join Politics.
We are doing our best to fund your Election Campaigns and your Chopper
Trips to the Villages.
Somebody has to Earn the Money that Politicians Feed On.
NO WONDER YOU ARE NOT GANDHIs. YOU ARE SO CALLED GANDHIs!!
Air India, KG Gas Division, 2G, CWG, SWISS BANK Account Details… Hasan
Ali, KGB., FBI Arrest..
You want to feel ashamed..?
Feel Ashamed for what the First Family of Politics has been reduced
to… A Money Laundering Enterprise.
NO WONDER YOU ARE NOT GANDHI’S BY BLOOD. GANDHI is an adopted Name. For
Indira didn’t marry Mahatma Gandhi’s Son.
For even if you had one GENE OF GANDHI JI in your DNA. YOU WOULDN’T HAVE
BEEN PLAGUED BY SUCH ‘POVERTY OF AMBITION’
(Ambition of only EARNING MONEY)
You really want to feel Ashamed?
Feel Ashamed for what you ‘ SO CALLED GANDHI’S’ have done to MAHATMA’S
I so wish GANDHI JI had Copyrighted his Name!
Meanwhile, I would request Sonia Gandhi to change her name to $ONIA
GANDHI, and you could replace
the ‘R’ in RAHUL/RAUL by the New Rupee Symbol!!!
RAUL VINCI : I am ashamed to call myself an Indian.
Even we are ashamed to call you so!
P.S: Popular Media is either bought or blackmailed, controlled to
Manufacture Consent! My Guess is Social Media is still a Democratic
(Now they are trying to put legislations to censor that too!!).
Meanwhile, Let’s ask these questions, for we deserve some Answers.
NITIN GUPTA ( RIVALDO)
B. Tech, IIT Bombay